Sunday, November 15, 2009

sweet september

Come back sweet september, I want you close by
However you can run, jump, dig or fly
And I’ll cry on your shoulder when you bend to meet me
In the space made by stature, where heartache resides.

And long ago,
You told me you couldn’t let go.

And I held on forever, forgetting that night
That you forwent convictions and held me so tight
You taught me how diction could pluralize sight

You were out of this world,
You were larger than life

You sang acapella and words flowed like the violent
Rush of a river and swallowed me whole.
I clung to renditions that I’d never heard of
And abandoned all hope or desire to know.

And my own hand,
Touched chords to explain who I am

So come back sweet September
And lets sing here once more
And lets forgo convictions and lie on the floor
Of that big creaky farmhouse that has always supported

This violent river’s flow
And I’ll hold you and never let go
And we’ll run and jump and fly
And I’ll give you my shoulder if you’d like to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment